commons-user mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: OT: JMimeMagic (was [fileUpload] file content-type)
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:59:56 GMT
Hi David,

David Castro wrote on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 12:24 AM:

> Jorg,
>
> Thanks and no problem.  And yeah, I think the library can do
> both, just
> not at the same time as you pointed out.

why not? You don't have to parse the XML twice ...

> Send me some suggestions and
> we'll see what we can get fixed/cleaned up.  I have a few
> things I need
> to get ready for a new release anyways.

OK, but as usual: I have current time constraints ... the code where I needed mime detection
has been finished some time ago and I need a better reason before I touch it again. I'll have
a look.

> BTW, if LGPL is a problem for folks, just let me know.  I
> would consider
> re-licensing it.

IIRC LGPL is meanwhile fine for a dependency, so no problem.

> I'd also still consider moving the project to Jakarta
> Commons, so that I
> can utilize the Apache services.

Well, in this case at least a dual license with ASF license 2.0 would be helpful. Also the
code will have to run through the incubation process. But I believe the project should gain
some more community first, because a project without it, will not be accepted easily. And
it seems I am currently the only Apache committer involved in this thread. So you should wait
for a bigger user and active committer base. Additionally Apache does not release officially
0.x versions here, so I would reconsider a move to Apache if you're heading 1.0 and the API
has somewhat finalized.

- Jörg