commons-user mailing list archives

From "Eric Jablow" <erjab...@praxiseng.com>
Subject RE: [collections] Decorator suggestion
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 02:00:30 GMT

Stephen Colebourne [mailto:scolebourne@btopenworld.com] wrote:
> I wrote:
>> Brian Goetz, in an article last year for IBM DeveloperWorks,
>> suggested writing a set wrapper that would allow initialization
>> code like:
>>
>>     private final static Set COMMANDS =
>>         new UnmodifiableSetBuilder(new HashSet())
>>             .append("Save")
>>             .append("Revert")
>>             .append("Close")
>>             .unmodifiableSet();
> instead of the wordier but normal
>
>This is an interesting idea. I would have thought that a single
>SetBuilder that could produce a modifiable as well as an unmodifiable
>set would make more sense.

Perhaps the collections project could use some of
the backlogged code already contributed for it.
Fred Loney, as part of JIRA issue COLLECTIONS-183,
contributed an AppendableList class.  Copy and
paste methods to get AppendableXXX decorators,
subclass them to get builder classes like the one above,
and we'll have a good start.  As I said, I'm willing to help.

The Goetz article is available at:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp04275.html

Respectfully,
Eric Jablow