commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: [jelly] dependencies?
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:00:45 GMT
Dennis,

Jelly is something that strives to do lots of things so it is
understandable that it has a lot of "dependencies" but a lot of them is
purpose specific.
For example there may be a dependency on xalan of the XML tag-library
but that would only be for JDK < 1.4 and only for the usage of the
transform tag. If you're not using it... remove it !
Jaxen is another example of a multi-purpose library whose dependency on
dom4j is only if you use dom4j (which jelly does), on jdom only if with
jdom etc... and, I think, has no reason to depend on xalan if not doing
transformations.

Splitting in extra modules is not very doable to me... There will always
be "features" of some modules that you will want to ignore hence the
recursive dependencies of maven (are you using this?) fails unless
purposes of dependencies can be encoded.

Does it help ?

paul