commons-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: turning on debugging with commons logging
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:03:45 GMT
Darren Hall wrote:
> Thanks Dennis,
>
> I'm using Struts "out of the box" so I have no logging package in place.
> I have no commons-logging.properties file and nothing referring to Log4J or
> anything of the sort.
>
> It seems to me that commons-logging is using the Tomcat default logging
> (thus it outputs to 'catalina.log').
>
> I've gone ahead and downloaded Log4J and included the Log4J.jar file in my
> WEB-INF/lib directory when deploying my webapp. I've also created a
> commons-logging.properties file (below) that I found as an example online.
>
> #########################
>
> #
> # $Id: commons-logging.properties,v 1.0 2006/06/31 14:35:33Z dhall $
> #
>
> #
> # This file controls which logging package the Jakarta Commons Logging
> package
> # uses. This can be changed to point to any supported logging package. See
> # http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging for a list of supported logging
> # packages.
> #
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jF
> actory
>
> #########################
>
> However, when I try to deploy my war file in Tomcat I now get a
> ClassDefNotFound org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory error.
>
> On the commons-logging website, I see that Log4jFactory is deprecated and
> not included in commons-logging 1.1 and beyond.

You should use this line instead:
org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger

> How do I tell commons-logging to use Log4j (or do I not tell it since it
> looks for it by default)?

It's better to specify the logging implementation, if you want to be in
control. Otherwise the logging implementation chosen by commons-logging
might differ, for example on different servers like development and
production.

--
Dennis Lundberg