commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [commons vfs]: Handling large packages, memory error
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 05:15:58 GMT
Hi!
> Also, we've tried to clear cache with
> getFilesCache().clear(usedFileObject.getFileSystem()). Even this doesn't
> seem to help.

Are you sure you get rid of EVERY fileObject you had processed during
extraction of the zip file?
In case of zip files there is a global list (on filesystem level) which
holds all entries.
It should be garbage collected as soon as you dont hold any reference.

Clear the cache isnt required as it holds only SoftReferences and the vm
should discard them too.

> Do you see this as a potential VFS problem?

I wont rule out that you catched a bug here. Its complicated stuff, and
hard to debug :-(

> Could you point me to a working profiler?
I use the yourkit profiler: http://www.yourkit.com/overview/index.jsp

Ciao,
Mario