commons-user mailing list archives

From "Kenneth Huang" <yourenzh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DBCP - Why we close connection
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 03:07:39 GMT
Hi, Jawed:

I think you just want to know why it close conn in the end.

(1) If you use DB connection pool(DBCP) to visit DB, conn.close() will put this instance to
pool and can be used next time.
(2) If you don't use DBCP in your app, conn.close() will release the resource used by this
instance, esp. a socket connection, or a file resource.

------------------
Kenneth Huang
2006-06-16

-----Original Message-----
From:Jawed Nazar Ali
Sent: 2006-06-15 23:00:06
To:commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject:DBCP - Why we close connection

Hello,

        try {
            conn =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:apache:commons:dbcp:example");
            stmt = conn.createStatement();
            rset = stmt.executeQuery(args[1]);
            int numcols = rset.getMetaData().getColumnCount();
            while(rset.next()) {
                for(int i=1;i<=numcols;i++) {
                    System.out.print("\t" + rset.getString(i));
                }
                System.out.println("");
            }
        } catch(SQLException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        } finally {
            try { rset.close(); } catch(Exception e) { }
            try { stmt.close(); } catch(Exception e) { }
            try { conn.close(); } catch(Exception e) { }
        }

Why we close conn at the end, I don't understand this. Any explanation?

Regards,

Jawed Nazar Ali