commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <>
Subject Re: [scxml] scxml in mobile devices
Date Wed, 10 May 2006 20:18:14 GMT
On 5/10/06, Beatriz PĂ©rez <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm thinking about using SCXML in mobile devices. I would like to run a statechart in
a PDA or Mobile Phone, could it be possible? How?

It would be desirable to have such a recipe, and as mentioned in the
overview of the SCXML Working Draft [1], its support in the mobile,
embedded and multi-modal application markups has been thought about.

Though I haven't tried running the Commons SCXML engine on a small
device, the following roadmap might be worth exploring:

 * Pick a suitable JRE for the device, J9 [2] is probably the best bet ATM.

 * I'm aware of XML APIs being used on top of J9, that will require
having xml-apis.jar, xercesImpl.jar and possibly others in <J9>/ext (I
believe ext/ is a child of lib/)

 * Based on the footprint available, you might want to "trim" the
distro. For example, the JSP, JSF packages etc. can be pulled out in
favor of a lighter jar. Similarly, Commons SCXML actually uses a small
percentage of the classes in the dependencies, and there is high
possibility for cutting down the cumulative runtime requirements --
though that would involve some some effort.

There may be other fairly generic suggestions about running Java on
small devices that might be useful here (searching the web might yield
lot of clues there).

Finally, if you get such a recipe going, it would be great if you
could contribute it to the Commons SCXML wiki [3].

> Thanks

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message