commons-user mailing list archives

From gabriele.garugli...@infoblu.it
Subject [configuration] Interpolation of variables in configuration definition files
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 06:29:09 GMT
Hi all,
i'm playing with commons-configuration HEAD, extracted from svn rep and
locally built.
Suppose i have i configuration definition file like this, that i pass to
DefaultConfigurationBuilder , where
${this.app.external.override.properties.file} is defined as a System
property.
<configuration>
  <system config-name="system" />
  <properties config-name="extOverride" fileName=
"${this.app.external.override.properties.file}" />
  <properties config-name="intClasspath" fileName=
"conf/internal.properties"/>
</configuration>

Given that the configuration file is treated as an XMLConfiguration this
appears to be a legitimate construct.
The problem is that when the subnode configuration for "extOverride" is
built the property that defines the filename value is interpolated against
the subnode configuration itself which obviously is still empty, it's a
sort of a cat chasing its tail.

In my opinion while building a CombinedConfiguration the interpolation for
the subnodes should be done against the parent  config, the
CombinedConfiguration itself.
This would allow to define variables in the configuration file that could
be solved against the previous nodes.

Am i doing something wrong? Or is there a way to force the described
behaviour?

In the meanwhile, my thanks and compliments for the best and most complete
configuration package i've ever seen!

Gabriele