commons-user mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: JMimeMagic (was [fileUpload] file content-type)
Date Mon, 29 May 2006 16:40:58 GMT
Hi David,

sorry for the delay, but I had to do some research again to give some more substantial answers.

David Castro wrote on Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:38 AM:

>> Hi Brain and Mark,

>> Starting from scratch would be possibly the best anyway. I
> had it also on my todo list on a very low priority ... but
> just, because I found that jMimeMagic has a really worse
> implemenattion - extremly slow and not working correctly. I
> have a good pile of image files it does not detect. Main
> reason is, that the implementation is simply
> What exactly is extremely slow and not working correctly?

After a quick look over the package you get the impression, that you imported the magic codes
of file magic into the project. And then you're quite astonished, if the library does not
detect simple formats (e.g. TIFF, Windows BMP), that are no problem for the C pendant. This
is IMHO a problem, because there's simply no documentation, that states something else. When
I detected jMimeMagic I just thought to use it as a black box.

> There are lots of things that don't detect out of the box right now,
> since only a subset of magic rules are defined in the magic.xml file.
>>  wrong. The original magic files have a clear idea of
> precedence of patterns - this has been lost completely in the
> conversion/implementation of jMimeMagic.
>>
> What is simply wrong about the implementation?  Precedence of matchers
> is a part of the current implementation, so I'm not sure what
> you mean.
> jMimeMagic wasn't a conversion, it was an implementation written from
> scratch.

But you could not decide, what you wanted to implement. See, file magic has two magic files,
one to produce a format description and one for the mime type. Your implementation mixes the
two approaches. Mime type detection is normally an action that should happen *fast*, but if
I request the mime type for an MP3 you evaluate all the nested matchers that are totally moot
for the mime type.

Looking at the code:

- what's the real difference between MagicMact and MagicMatcher? Even the javadoc is the same
- you're code is linked to Log4J. This is not good for libraries. See, some of our customers
use completely own logging implementations, but with commons-logging you can at least write
an easy bridge
- you never guard log.debug with log.isDebug - and you create *a lot* of debug output
- file magic has also its limits as already explained in this thread. You already introduced
regexp support, but you don't use it properly e.g. for the HTML types so far

OK, some of the problems would have been solved by providing an own magic.xml file. E.g. one
of my mistakes with the library was, that I assumed that the magic file was read every time
you create a Magic instance and you would have to synchronize the initializartion of the instance
if you want to share it. This assumtion was wrong, but only after looking at the code - not
by reading the javadocs.

- Jörg