commons-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: [SCXML] API changes before first RC
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 03:33:54 GMT

Speaking of changes before RC, why does the ServletContextResolver
resolve using ctx.getRealPath() [1]?  That assumes that the webapp is
deployed, "exploded", as a directory.  If the webapp is deployed
directly from a .WAR file, ctx.getRealPath() will, invariably, return
null.  Why not return a Stringified URL path from ctx.getResource()
as either toString() or toExternalForm()?  That will work 100% of the
time, no matter how the webapp is deployed.  Also, ctx.getRealPath()
returns a path that would feed into a File object.  Is that really
desired?  Most libraries deal with URL's to avoid File
specifics.  Maybe this behavior could be made optional?  The default
could be the URL form and another constructor could be provided with
an extra boolean parameter such as "useURLForm".  One could pass in
false which would tell the resolver to use getRealPath() instead of
the URL form.  Thoughts?

Jake

[1]
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/scxml/xref/org/apache/commons/scxml/env/servlet/ServletContextResolver.html#59