commons-user mailing list archives

From "Lazarte, Ivan" <i...@away.com>
Subject [commons vfs] Symlinks and directory caches (and network drive)
Date Mon, 22 May 2006 15:55:09 GMT

aware that usually I don't want this, but for testing it's convenient.

Thanks for your help, VFS is really nice overall, very easy to get up
and running.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark A Fortner [mailto:phidias51@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 11:37 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [commons vfs] Mapping a network drive?

This could be done, but not exactly the way you're thinking. :-)

In VFS you can use SFTP to access different volumes.  You can create and
save a simple text file that contains all of the URLs that you want your
applications to have access to.

When your apps startup, they read the file, and use VFS to create
connections to those volumes.  This approach should work on any
operating system, and doesn't rely on any platform specific code.

HTH,

Mark

Robert Enyedi <renyedi@gmail.com> wrote: Hi,

In short, this is not handled by VFS. Since network drive mapping is a
Windows specific operation the mapping can be achieved only by using
native
code. The J2SE core libraries do not have this feature implemented and
nor
does VFS.

Regards,
Robert