commons-user mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Validator] Extending ISBN validator to support smooth transition to ISBN-13 / EAN-13 standard
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 23:22:36 GMT
On 5/25/06, Gabriel Belingueres <belingueres@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just revised the ISBNValidator to support ISBN-13 / EAN-13
> standards, which will begin its use on 2007 (see
> http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/transition.asp for more
> information).
>
> To support a smooth transition, I changed the isValid(String) method
> so that it can validate all ISBN-10, ISBN-13 and EAN-13 codes. In
> addition, I created methods for validating only ISBN-10, only EAN-13,
> or ISBN-13 / EAN-13 codes.  This way, anyone could have support for
> the new standard by just changing the .jar file.
>
> I'll be uploading to Jira as an enhancement today if I have the time.

Excellent, thanks for this - I wasn't aware of the transition.

I started a process of separting out the framework aspects of
validator from the actual validation routines. So far I have just
added date/time/number validators to the new "routines" package (see
http://tinyurl.com/eahub) - but the plan is/was to move other
validators, such as ISBN, credit card, email, url etc also into that
package and deprecate the existing ones. This also provides the
opportunity to rethink the design of some of these validators.

My first thoughts on this are that rather than just providing a
monlithic ISBN validator it would be useful if we could break it down
into more reusable components:

 - modulus 11 check digit calculation / validation
 - EAN Number validation
 - ISBN Number validaition

Probably best if further discussion is either done on the dev list -
or Jira ticket.

Niall