commons-user mailing list archives

From David Castro <apudcas...@entwash.org>
Subject RE: JMimeMagic (was [fileUpload] file content-type)
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 08:37:35 GMT

> Hi Brain and Mark,
>
> Brian K. Wallace wrote on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:18 PM:

>> > Just be conscious of the fact that, with all open source
>> > projects, time
>> > is usually volunteer/as available/as the urge strikes. I
>> > wouldn't start
>> > to get anxious for a couple of weeks. (some take longer, but
>> > I'm anxious
>> > by then)
>> >
>> > As for forking -> commons, remember licensing issues. GPL/LGPL != ASL.
>> > In order for ASL to come into the picture you'd have to not fork but
>> > start from scratch. IANAL, but that's how it's been presented before.
>>

> Starting from scratch would be possibly the best anyway. I had it also on my todo list
on a very low priority ... but just, because I found that jMimeMagic has a really worse implemenattion
- extremly slow and not working correctly. I have a good pile of image files it does not detect.
Main reason is, that the implementation is simply
What exactly is extremely slow and not working correctly?

There are lots of things that don't detect out of the box right now,
since only a subset of magic rules are defined in the magic.xml file.
>  wrong. The original magic files have a clear idea of precedence of patterns - this has
been lost completely in the conversion/implementation of jMimeMagic.

What is simply wrong about the implementation?  Precedence of matchers
is a part of the current implementation, so I'm not sure what you mean.
jMimeMagic wasn't a conversion, it was an implementation written from
scratch.

David