commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [VFS] Getting package entry compressed size
Date Wed, 17 May 2006 13:08:44 GMT
Hi!
> Could it be possible to add method for receiving also compressed size of
> file inside a package (zip, tgz etc)?
No, I dont think so. As far as I know the zip library do not provide
such an information and in case of tar.gz the situations is even more
complex.

tar is an archive only (no compression)
this archive will be compressed using gzip
So the files inside an tar archive even dont know that they are
compressed and so they didnt know its compressed file size.
In case of .tar.gz the whole tar is compressed at once - not at file level.

Ciao,
Mario