commons-user mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [BEANUTILS] Alignment with JSTL standard?
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 17:21:58 GMT
On 5/3/06, Gabriel Belingueres <belingueres@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know if there are any prospects on aligning the beanutils with JSTL.

I'm not sure if there are many plans with BeanUtils, it's in need of love.

> AFAIK, DynaBeans currently do not work with JSTL standard because
> there is no accessor to the values Map variable from the outside, so
> you have to subclass BasicDynaBean and put an accessor to the values
> Map to use it from a JSP page.

This sounds like a valuable change to DynaBeans to me.

> Also, since I'm working a lot with the (disconected) RowSetDynaClass,
> and this creates by default BasicDynaBeans, I have to subclass
> RowSetDynaClass so as to overwrite the createDynaBean() method, but
> there is no information on the javadocs that tell that we can safelly
> do that without loosing forward compatibility with future beanutils
> releases.
>
> I downloaded the beanutils source code and very easily I created an
> abstract class (let's call it AbstractRowSetDynaClass) that has an
> abstract protected DynaBean createDynaBean() method, and then create
> RowSetDynaClass by subclassing AbstractRowSetDynaClass, with the
> current implementation of the createDynaBean() method. This way, there
> are no loss of backward compatibility in the RowSetDynaClass class AND
> the design intent is clearly specified so that anyone is allowed to
> safely replace the dynabean kind created, and this information is
> easily found by reading the javadocs.

Probably worth doing, though need to see which methods should go in
the implementation and which in the abstract.

> I have already implemented those changes in the source code...don't
> know if anyone is interested in them.

Always interested. Making a Bugzilla issue and attaching as a patch
will at the very, very worst sit in there for other users to find.
More likely, it will sit in there for a bit until someone pushes a
bunch of bits into a new release of BeanUtils - and it will help build
the critical mass to nudge someone into wanting to do that.

Hen