commons-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: [commons-net] Correcting a bug into org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClient
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 17:38:57 GMT

In message <5370f2820605290848y6fc163f2o13a6d25b714c8ea5@mail.gmail.com>, "s[e]
th & h[o]lth" writes:
>I meet a problem when using FTPClient.listFiles(String pathname) with a
>space-char inside pathname.
>I looked at the problem and i saw that many ftp clients implements this
>function like :
>CWD target_dir
>LIST
>instead of
>LIST target_dir

I don't think this is a bug.  I believe the ability to list path names
containing spaces is a function of the server, not the client.  For example,
I tested your approach against an NcFTPd server and it didn't work.  In
fact, I couldn't list files containing spaces without using a glob expression.
Yet, on a server that reports itself as "Microsoft FTP Service" (e.g.,
ftp.dell.com), I had no problem listing path names containing spaces using
the unmodified FTPClient.

daniel

-#-#-#-#-| Sleep and The Traveller |-#-#-#-#-#-#-#- http://www.savarese.org/
In distant lands, I hear the call of my home.     #     s a v a r e s e
Yet my work is not done.  My journey's just begun.-    software research
 -- http://www.sleepandthetraveller.com/          # http://www.savarese.com/