commons-user mailing list archives

From Nestor Urquiza <nest...@yahoo.com>
Subject [scxml] some ways for storing the states, transitions and any hierarchical structure
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 15:04:05 GMT
I have to decide for my project if it is worth it to
store some of my objects directly in mysql using
Hibernate.

The usecase is just a web application accepting HTTP
GET/POST requests and depending on given states it
executes some code and move the client to a new state
(I am using commons-scxml [1] for this). Moving from a
starting state to an ending state the application pass
several internal states and I need to store the whole
history in a table.

I could use mysql 5 UpdateXML() extractValue() UDF
functions to store/retrieve the hierarchical data but
as an alternative I think storing objects directly is
a perfect approach. In fact I think ORM is a pretty
cool alternative to native xml storage.

The real problem arrives when Reporting guys want to
query the mysql database for the states  I have stored
using Hibernate. I saw from Hibernate Tools there is a
console plugin for eclipse [2] that allows to query
the database using HSQL, however I am wondering if
anyone knows about a way of using just plain SQL from
a mysql client to query data that is stored using
Hibernate. I understand this could be done using an
UDF (User Defined Function).

Any thoughts? Whatever idea you might have could help
a lot my storage options/decision.

Thanks a lot!,
Nestor Urquiza

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/scxml/