commons-user mailing list archives

From luc.maison...@free.fr
Subject Re: Using the cumulative probability distribution method
Date Mon, 29 May 2006 13:16:18 GMT
Selon Rosie Chandler <rosie.chandler@btopenworld.com>:

> Thankyou for your help.

you're welcome

> I have successfully compiled your suggested code, but
> when I try to run it I get the following error:
>
> Exception in thread "main"
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> org/apache/commons/math/MathException
>
> Is there anything else that I have missed out?  I am
> compiling the code with the commons-math-1.1.jar in
> the classpath.

Once compilation has been performed, you must have both the .jar archive and the
the directory containing the .class file in your classpath for running. The
.class file does not contain the code from the library, only a reference to the
classes and methods it uses. If you have a background in compiled languages, you
can see a jar file as something similar to a shared object library (a .so file
under Unix and GNU/Linux systems, a dll under Windows systems). It is needed at
runtime.

Luc