commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [betwixt] Versioning of XML Output
Date Wed, 17 May 2006 21:05:12 GMT
On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 14:21 +0200, Holger Haag wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using betwixt in an environment where I'm converting beans to xml in
> order to build SOAP/XML messages. For proper SOAP handling, a WSDL
> definition is necessary including XSDs.
>
> To support all soap clients in the field (e.g. which are using the Apache
> Axis framework) the generated XML has to be controlled carefully mainly when
> it comes to adding new elements (nodes, attributes) to an existing XML
> structure. "Older" SOAP Clients will probably complain when the generated
> XML has elements which were not permitted by the older XSD/WSDL definition.

sounds like an interesting problem :)

> I think this could be done by adding a String attribute "since" to the
> ElementDescriptor/AttributeDescriptor classes.
> The value for "since" would be provided in the .betwixt file:
>
> <attribute name='name' property='name' since='1.01'/>
>
> Provided this is possible, a ValueSuppressionStrategy could be implemented
> suppressing the XML output for older versions/clients.

sounds like a cunning plan with a good chance of success

perhaps value suppression won't be sufficient: wouldn't you need to
suppress elements as well as values. i suppose that this could be done
by asking betwixt to prune empty elements, though.

> Or is something similar already possible in betwixt ?

definitely not out of the box :-)

i have more energy now that JCL 1.1 has finally been released. i'd
recommend trying out your solution but i'll try to find some time
tomorrow to play around myself...

- robert