commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Log4JLogger does not implement Log
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 10:03:20 GMT
Hi,

This issue is described in the wiki (as noted by James Carman).
The problem is that you have commons logging (including a copy of the
Log interface) in a jar in some container classpath, then you have
commons-logging in your deployed ear also (including an adapter to a
specific logging library in a jar in your deployed ear classpath AND
another copy of the Log interface).

In this situation, the commons-logging LogFactory class tries to load a
logging adapter from the ear classpath (and succeeds) then tries to cast
it to the Log interface. However it is trying to cast it to *the Log
interface as loaded via the container classpath*, while the adapter
actually implements *the log interface as loaded via the ear classpath*.
The cast therefore fails, and the LogFactory is unable to access that
adapter implementation.

The best solution is to use commons-logging 1.1's
commons-logging-adapters.jar file in your ear. This jar does not contain
a copy of the Log interface, so no such problems can occur. The
commons-logging-1.1 release is currently at RC10 (may be RC11 by the
time you read this, as some documentation was updated). See:
  people.apache.org/~rdonkin/commons-logging.
The final release is expected in the next few days.

As you discovered, playing with parent-first vs child-first classloading
order can also avoid the problem with having multiple copies of the Log
interface in the classpath. Or removing commons-logging.jar from the ear
completely will solve it, though at the price of being unable to
configure logging on a per-component basis.

This is addressed on the wiki, and is also discussed in the
commons-logging 1.1 documentation (which is available via the url listed
above, or will be on the main site once the 1.1 release is completed).

Regards,

Simon