commons-user mailing list archives

From David López Muñoz <...@tid.es>
Subject Re: [Lang] escapeXML() -> Not escaping low characters
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:31:43 GMT
En Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:55:27 -0700, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> escribió:

> On 3/31/06, David López Muñoz <dlm@tid.es> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to escape some texts to be xml-valid and I'm using StringEscapeUtils.escapeXml().
>>
>> I found a problem with low characteres such as #18. They don't seem to be escaped,
and therefore they are mixed together with other characteres as if there were normal characteres
such as 'a', '1' etc.

>> Am I doing sth wrong? I'm using commons-lang 2.1. Is it a known bug already solved
in newer versions?

> Sorry for lack of reply. Definitely not fixed yet, and thanks for
> reporting it in bugzilla. There's another bug that complains that high
> characters ARE getting escaped - so definitely something that's up for
> debate :)
>
> Would all low-chars want to be escaped? I suspect that people wouldn't
> want newlines suddenly being escaped and turning the xml into a single
> line. Anyone got any idea if the XML spec even talks about low-chars?
>
> Hen

Thanks Hen,

According to my experience, low characteres MUST be escaped, since I'm having
problems with an XML document partly generated with escapeXml().

The document is generated in order to be read by some other client that
is using xerces. This document is filled in with some fields extracted from our DB.
Unfortunately some of the fields happened to contain some unrequired characters
such as &x18, etc. That would not be a problem, but the resulting document
makes xerces crash. I therefore assume that this is not a valid character
and have to be escaped.

--
David López Muñoz
(34) 91 337 4703