commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [fileupload] Form params from the request command line?
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 01:56:41 GMT
On 4/4/06, Christopher L Merrill <chris@webperformance.com> wrote:

> Sven Schliesing wrote:
> > I know that this is a direct answer to your question, but why do you mix
> > GET-params to a POST-Request? I'm not pretty sure if this is even
> > supported in the HTTP 1.1-standard.
>
> I am fairly certain there is no limitation against this usage in the HTTP
> spec. If it's there, someone please point me to it...I'd like to see it.
>
> We find this particular case used quite frequently by our customers.  In
> fact, I'm looking at one of those customer sites right now - and it has a
> mix of both in the login form.

In the Java arena the Servlet spec has explicit provisions describing how
this scenario (combination of query parameters on the URL and post data
parameters) is handled, and it's supported in a well-defined manner.  See
section SRV.4.1 of the servlet spec.

The HTTP spec is silent on this issue, as it should be ... interpretation of
URLs and content types is a layer above the HTTP protocol itself.

Craig