commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject [SCXML] JSTL fn or Custom EL functions (was: Re: patterns for bridging)
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:21:48 GMT
Please start a new thread when appropriate ...

On 4/20/06, Mike Sparr - www.goomzee.com <mike@goomzee.com> wrote:
> We discussed adding functions to EL and Commons EL didn't offer them (like
> substringAfter).  I believe you said JEXL offers that and to add bugzilla
> request to enhance the EL capabilities?

<snip/>

I got to that earlier this afternoon. Take a look at the little blurb
on method invocation at the bottom of this page (long, possibly
fragmented URL):

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/scxml/guide/contexts-evaluators.html

Basically, you can supply a FunctionMapper [1] to the ELEvaluator [2]
to evaluate any custom functions you may need. If you need JSTL
functions, get the Jakarta Taglibs implementation [3], and wire the
FunctionMapper you supply to the functions in the
org.apache.taglibs.standard.functions.Functions class. I'm a little
hesitant to provide a JSTL functions FunctionMapper out of the box
since it will mean adding another dependency (although in the maven
"provided" scope) to Commons SCXML.

As an aside, for JEXL its even simpler, since there is a first class
notion of method invocation. But you should be all set for EL as well.

-Rahul

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/servlet/jsp/el/FunctionMapper.html
[2] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/scxml/apidocs/org/apache/commons/scxml/env/jsp/ELEvaluator.html
[3] http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/standard-doc/intro.html