commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SCXML]: BUG: Inner States with no InitialState
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2006 05:50:24 GMT
On 4/7/06, Fasih <fasihullah.askiri@baypackets.com> wrote:
> Hi
> With reference to my last mail. I tried to add the rest of the states as child state
to the one which does the default error handling(I had missed out the <initialstate>).
I get a NullPointerException.
> The problem is with:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/scxml/xref/org/apache/commons/scxml/io/SCXMLDigester.html#955
> It checks for a null, and continues using the state. How do I file a BUG?

<snip/>

True, an interesting exercise would be to author many illegal SCXML
documents (with different anomalies) and ensure that the failures are
always in the best possible places and with decent error reporting
(rather than an NPE). In this case, its obvious that after logging the
error, we shouldn't continue. Probably makes sense to die with a
ModelException. Not having an <initial> defined (I assume
<initialstate> is just a typo, given the line number you point to) is
probably a common authoring faux pas, but thats not the only one.
Furthermore, many of these can't be caught with a DTD, or even a
schema.

Please follow the guidelines on the Commons SCXML issue tracking page
[1] to file a bug for this. If you also want to suggest a patch,
information about creating patches is here [2] (please attach patches
to the bugzilla ticket, rather than sending to the mailing lists --
need to change that text on the website). Thanks.

-Rahul

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/scxml/issue-tracking.html
[2] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/patches.html