commons-user mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: JMimeMagic (was [fileUpload] file content-type)
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 06:09:48 GMT
Hi Brain and Mark,

Brian K. Wallace wrote on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:18 PM:

> Just be conscious of the fact that, with all open source
> projects, time
> is usually volunteer/as available/as the urge strikes. I
> wouldn't start
> to get anxious for a couple of weeks. (some take longer, but
> I'm anxious
> by then)
>
> As for forking -> commons, remember licensing issues. GPL/LGPL != ASL.
> In order for ASL to come into the picture you'd have to not fork but
> start from scratch. IANAL, but that's how it's been presented before.

Starting from scratch would be possibly the best anyway. I had it also on my todo list on
a very low priority ... but just, because I found that jMimeMagic has a really worse implemenattion
- extremly slow and not working correctly. I have a good pile of image files it does not detect.
Main reason is, that the implementation is simply wrong. The original magic files have a clear
idea of precedence of patterns - this has been lost completely in the conversion/implementation
of jMimeMagic.

- Jörg