commons-user mailing list archives

From "Sandy McArthur" <sandy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [collections] ... and generics
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:37:41 GMT
On 4/10/06, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> D D wrote:
> > Is there a plan to port commons-collections to jdk5+ using generics ?
> > I know there is some ports (http://sourceforge.net/projects/collections
>  > and http://sourceforge.net/projects/collections15) but they are not
>  > active... Their implementation seems quite complete so why not
>  > integrating them in "commons" ?
>
> Unfortunately, this is due to a lack of developer time at commons. It
> may happen at some point, when someone at apache needs the functionality.

I also think there will be some resistance as Java 1.3 is still a
pretty common target and many projects depend on commons collections.
My personal feeling is that Java 1.4 is increasingly becoming the next
baseline JVM and it will be a while (read when Java 1.7 is released)
before everyone has moved forward enough that resistance towards
making Java 1.5 a baseline will be minimal.

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine