commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: [Configuration]: Hierarchical configurations ?
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:24:29 GMT
Michiel Kalkman wrote:

>Hi,
>I now have a configuration 'configuration1.xml' like
>
><configuration>
>  <xml fileName="SampleConfiguratie.xml"/>
></configuration>
>
>Which gives me - with the following code - the keys/values provided in
>SampleConfiguratie.xml:
>
>final ConfigurationFactory configurationFactory = new
>ConfigurationFactory();
>configurationFactory.setConfigurationURL(...)
>configuration=configurationFactory.getConfiguration();
>
>Is it possible to create a second configuration configuration that refers to
>the first ('configuration1.xml'), like:
>
><configuration>
>  <configuration fileName="configuration1.xml"/>
></configuration>
>
>and still get the same keys/values after getConfiguration() ?
>
>Thanks for any replies,
>Michiel

Hi Michiel,

not sure if I understand you correctly: you want a configuration
definition file (to be processed by a ConfigurationFactory) to be
included into another one?

In the current release (version 1.2) this is not supported. In
subversion [1] there is a new class DefaultConfigurationBuilder, which
can be used as alternative to ConfigurationFactory. The design of this
class makes it possible to add such an include feature quite easily. I
will have a look how this can be done. Note that there is still work on
this class and its documentation in progress.

Unfortunately this won't help you with your current problem.

Oliver

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/cvs-usage.html