commons-user mailing list archives

From Andrea Spinelli <aspine...@imteam.it>
Subject Re: JMimeMagic (was [fileUpload] file content-type)
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:05:02 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:

>1) It is definitely not possible to built on jmimemagic code because of licencing reasons

Yep, but Mark wants to start a new one - reusing ideas is not forbidden ;-)

>2) Although jMimeMagic claims to use an imported magic file itself, its magic.xml misses
a lot of formats (e.g. tiff), that are present in file magic since ages

Mark and his friends [including me, as far as I have some spare time]
could read the files magic and magic.mime and generate something similar
to magic.xml (or better).

>3) Debug it! The code was definately not designed for speed as one would expect from a
utility that should do such examinations on the fly

I agree - maybe you can produce a checklist of point not to be missed?
   a.