commons-user mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CLI]: Strange behaviour with = separator and string short options (possible bug)
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:37:35 GMT
Thanks for following the email up with your solution David.

Hopefully we can start things moving with regards to CLI 2.0 and get
it released in a few months time.

Hen

On 4/24/06, David <achepati67@yahoo.es> wrote:
> Dear Members,
>
>   I just write this e-mail to share with all of you about my solution. It is simple just
to use the CLI 2.0. You can download the version on:

>   http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly/commons-cli/
>
>   on the following web page there is a pre-release information about it:
>
>   http://people.apache.org/~roxspring/cli/docs/
>
>   and the module 12 of the book:
>
>   http://www.manning.com/goyal/
>
>   would help.
>
>   With this version I have no found any of the problems I have commented on my e-mail.
>
>   David
>
> David <achepati67@yahoo.es> wrote:
>   Dear member,
>
> I am starting to use CLI tools, and I have found the following problems:
>
> Defining an Option that expect an argument with '=' as separator, on the output of printHelp
I don't get on the syntax the = separator symbol, instead I get a single space.
> Option with argument, short and long option value, and equal symbol as separator, I can
use the =-separator for long option but not for short one (for this case I have to use space).
> Option with long and short value, but the short option is not a character (more than
one character), on the printHelp method is reconized as a short option, and even I can use
with the method CommandLine.hasOption(shortOption) but not as input line argument.
> This is the code I have:
>
> Option inputDir = new Option("-i", "inputDir", true, "inputDir description");
> opt.setValueSeparator('=');
> opt.setArgName("dir");
>
> and
>
> Option mFile = new Option("mFile", "movement-file, true, "mFile description);
> opt.setValueSeparator('=');
> opt.setArgName("file");
>
> so mFile option has as short opt the value: "mFile", on the output I get:
>
> -mFile,--movement-file mFile description
> -i,--inputDir   inputDir description
>
> so I dont' get the equal symbol as separator.
>
> the automatic syntax is also with spaces:
>
> usage: com.schinvest.lra.business.batch.BatchCaller.main [options]
>
> [
> ] [-i dir] [-mFile file]
>
> Testing, the following situations fails agains assertEquals("input", line.getOptionValue("i")):
>
> args = new String[] { "-i=input" } => fails
> args = new String[] { "-i", "=input" } => fails
>
> but
> args = new String[] { "--input-dir=input" } => true
> args = new String[] { "-iinput" } => true
> args = new String[] { "-i", "input" } => true
>
> testing now mFile, with:
> assertEquals("file", line.getOptionValue("mFile")):
>
> we get:
>
> args = new String[] { "-mFile", "file" } => Unknown F option
>
> but
> args = new String[] { "--movement-file=file" } => true
>
> Is it a bug or I am doing something wrong. I am using CLI 1.0.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> David

> Blab-away for as little as 1ยข/min. Make PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo! Messenger with
Voice.