commons-user mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMimeMagic (was [fileUpload] file content-type)
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:37:13 GMT
Right. There are legal bits and policy bits entwined here.

The ASF doesn't distribute software under licences other than the ASL.
It's not a solid policy - but I doubt we'll ever stretch it to involve
us shipping under strong copyleft licences. As with any group of 1000+
people, we don't agree on much, but we do largely seem to prefer the
gift style of BSD licence (makes sense, wouldn't be here otherwise).

We can't legally change the licence on the code - so wouldn't be able
to take a fork into Commons (for example). The original author(s)
would need to relicence (to BSD/MIT/ASL equivalents), or we would need
to start afresh.

Cliff Schmidt has outlined a solid policy for us
(http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html). It's still getting
agreed upon (and argued upon), but now that I think about it, that
actually would allow us to depend on JMimeMagic. We wouldn't be able
to ship it with our fileupload binary etc, but we don't ship
dependencies with our binaries anyway.

Hen