commons-user mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <>
Subject Re: [Lang] escapeXML() -> Not escaping low characters
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:55:27 GMT
On 3/31/06, David López Muñoz <> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to escape some texts to be xml-valid and I'm using StringEscapeUtils.escapeXml().
> I found a problem with low characteres such as #18. They don't seem to be escaped, and
therefore they are mixed together with other characteres as if there were normal characteres
such as 'a', '1' etc.
> Am I doing sth wrong? I'm using commons-lang 2.1. Is it a known bug already solved in
newer versions?

Sorry for lack of reply. Definitely not fixed yet, and thanks for
reporting it in bugzilla. There's another bug that complains that high
characters ARE getting escaped - so definitely something that's up for
debate :)

Would all low-chars want to be escaped? I suspect that people wouldn't
want newlines suddenly being escaped and turning the xml into a single
line. Anyone got any idea if the XML spec even talks about low-chars?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message