commons-user mailing list archives

From David <achepat...@yahoo.es>
Subject Re: [CLI]: Strange behaviour with = separator and string short options (possible bug)
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:01:35 GMT
Dear Members,

  I just write this e-mail to share with all of you about my solution. It is simple just to
use the CLI 2.0. You can download the version on:

  http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly/commons-cli/

  on the following web page there is a pre-release information about it:

  http://people.apache.org/~roxspring/cli/docs/

  and the module 12 of the book:

  http://www.manning.com/goyal/

  would help.

  With this version I have no found any of the problems I have commented on my e-mail.

  David

David <achepati67@yahoo.es> wrote:
  Dear member,

I am starting to use CLI tools, and I have found the following problems:

Defining an Option that expect an argument with '=' as separator, on the output of printHelp
I don't get on the syntax the = separator symbol, instead I get a single space.
Option with argument, short and long option value, and equal symbol as separator, I can use
the =-separator for long option but not for short one (for this case I have to use space).

Option with long and short value, but the short option is not a character (more than one character),
on the printHelp method is reconized as a short option, and even I can use with the method
CommandLine.hasOption(shortOption) but not as input line argument.
This is the code I have:

Option inputDir = new Option("-i", "inputDir", true, "inputDir description");
opt.setValueSeparator('=');
opt.setArgName("dir");

and

Option mFile = new Option("mFile", "movement-file, true, "mFile description);
opt.setValueSeparator('=');
opt.setArgName("file");

so mFile option has as short opt the value: "mFile", on the output I get:

-mFile,--movement-file mFile description
-i,--inputDir   inputDir description

so I dont' get the equal symbol as separator.

the automatic syntax is also with spaces:

usage: com.schinvest.lra.business.batch.BatchCaller.main [options]

[
] [-i dir] [-mFile file]

Testing, the following situations fails agains assertEquals("input", line.getOptionValue("i")):

args = new String[] { "-i=input" } => fails
args = new String[] { "-i", "=input" } => fails

but
args = new String[] { "--input-dir=input" } => true
args = new String[] { "-iinput" } => true
args = new String[] { "-i", "input" } => true

testing now mFile, with:
assertEquals("file", line.getOptionValue("mFile")):

we get:

args = new String[] { "-mFile", "file" } => Unknown F option

but
args = new String[] { "--movement-file=file" } => true

Is it a bug or I am doing something wrong. I am using CLI 1.0.

Thanks in advance,

David

Yahoo! Mail goes everywhere you do.  Get it on your phone.