commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: logging: How to configure programatically for using java.util.logging
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 09:55:50 GMT
On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 02:47 -0700, David wrote:
> Dear members,
>
>   I would like to use java.util.logging and configure it programatically, on the common-logging
documentation there is information about how to do it with the properties files, but I don't
see the way for doing directly on the source code.

>   I have a simple class that have setLogger/getLogger, I just wanto to test in a tester
class how should work for using java.util.loggins or the Simple log from commons.

>   That's all, thanks in advance,

commons-logging does not provide *any* mechanism for configuring the
"real" underlying logging library (except for the special case of the
built-in simple-log implementation). Commons-logging just forwards
messages to some other library which is assumed to be configured already
(or capable of configuring itself somehow).

The only configuration supported by commons-logging is to (optionally)
tell it which underlying library it should bind to.

The information in the docs about how to configure java.util.logging is
just there to help people new to logging; it isn't part of the
commons-logging functionality.

To configure java.util.logging, you need to use java.util.logging
methods.

Regards,

Simon