commons-user mailing list archives

From "Faggart, Robin" <rfagg...@carreker.com>
Subject RE: XMLConfiguration: Keyname list
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:22:21 GMT
I was just getting ready to ask the same or a similar
question....Acording to the examples in the howto_xml documentation
(reference: jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/howto_xml.html)
it's possible to reference the properties using indexes (for example
getProperty("tables.table(0)name")).  Are you saying that the
documentation is incorrect or am I asking a different question?

Thanks.
Robin Faggart

-----Original Message-----
From: Oliver Heger [mailto:oliver.heger@t-online.de]
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 2:15 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: XMLConfiguration: Keyname list

Rishikesh.Mallesh@atradius.com wrote:

>Hi
>

>Question regarding XMLConfiguration. How could I get the list of
>keynames stored in an XMLConfiguration object?
>

>Say for instance my XML file looks like -
>
><database>
>  <tables>
>      <name>users</name>
>      <fields>
>        <field>
>          <name>uid</name>
>          <type>long</type>
>        </field>
>        <field>
>          <name>uid</name>
>          <type>long</type>
>        </field>
>
>.
>.
>.
>.
></database>
>

>Is there an  API which would return a Collection of containing the
>following keynames?
>

>tables.table(0).fields(0).field.name
>
>tables.table(0).fields(1).field.name
>

>If not an API is there a standard way of doing this.

This is not directly supported. The getKeys() method defined in the
Configuration interface only returns the defined keys without indices.

For which purpose do you need these keys? If it is only for a convenient
way of iterating over a hierarchical configuration, the latest code in
SVN contains the method
HierarchicalConfiguration.configurationsAt(String key), which gives you
access to sub structures of the configuration.

If you really need keys with indices, I fear you will have to traverse
the HierarchicalConfiguration.Node objects by yourself and construct the
keys.

HTH
Oliver