commons-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Connection not getting released to pool .. ORA-01453 error
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:08:21 GMT
vivek sar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I don't have stack trace for the dbcp itself, but here is what I get
> in my application log,
>
>      SQLException ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment
> number 9 with name "_SYSSMU9$" too small

This seems to indicate that the rollback segment, which is Oracle lingo
for a file in the file system containing data to enable rollback, is too
small. You should feed the above lines to your Oracle dba and let
him/her turn some knobs on the Oracle configuration to allocate some
more disk space for the rollback segment.

> TorqueException: ORA-01453: SET TRANSACTION must be first statement of
> transaction
>
> Basically, after any insert failure (it could be any sqlexception) I
> get ORA-01453 and that freezes the connection.
>
> Thanks,
> -vivek
>

> On 3/24/06, Sandy McArthur <sandymac@apache.org> wrote:
>> Can you provide any stack traces?
>>
>> On 3/24/06, vivek sar <vivextra@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  Using,
>>>            torque-3.1.jar, commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar, commons-collections-3.1.jar
>>>
>>>  I am having this weird problem. In case an "insert" query fails
>>> (could be for any reason) in my case it is because of bad blocks on
>>> db, the subsequent query (like a "select" statement) gives me,
>>>       "ORA- 01453 - Set Transaction must be the first statement"
>>>
>>> error message. Once I get this exception the connection associated
>>> with this error gets frozen - it never gets released to the connection
>>> pool. I've configured maxActive to be 20 connections, so after 20 of
>>> these "ORA-01453" messages my application freezes and all other tasks
>>> just keep waiting for the connection indefinitely.
>>>
>>> I am using "SharedPoolDataSource" dbcp connection pool.
>>>
>>>  I am not using Transaction explicitly in my code. To get connection I use,
>>>
>>>      Torque.getConnection("xxxx");
>>>
>>> I am not sure if this is a bug in torque or dbcp. On my code I don't
>>> see any problem as I've the finally block where I close the connection
>>> before exiting the method.
>>>
>>> Does anyone has any experience with this ?
>> --
>> Sandy McArthur
>>
>> "He who dares not offend cannot be honest."
>> - Thomas Paine

Dennis Lundberg