commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [VFS] cache on children
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:51:16 GMT
Hi Robert!
> Mario, I know that the caching mechanism has high priority for VFS 1.1, but
> what if until than we would have a utility class
Fact is, that I should take the time to fix this annoying thing.

So lets discuss what I have in mind. Basically your utility class is
something I had in mind, just a little bit more integrated into VFS.

I would try to implement this in VFS using the decorator pattern. In the
end I wanted to have 3 caching strategies:

a) manual - as it is now, but maybe provide a method called "resync()"
b) perResolveFile - resync() once directly after a resolveFile
c) perCall - resync() once before any method call on a fileObject method
- this is your utility class but as a decorator for the FileObject so
the user didnt see this - the downside here is that any "fo instanceof
...." no longer work, but no one should be required to do this, and I'll
provide a helper class e.g. FileObjectUtils.instanceOf(fo, class)

IMHO, version b should be the default. The caching strategy should be
configurable per FileSytemManager instance.

WDYT?

Ciao,
Mario