commons-user mailing list archives

From Andrea Spinelli <aspine...@imteam.it>
Subject [FILEUPLOAD] Long processing time for FileUpload.parseRequest
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:05:33 GMT
Hello everyone,

I am experiencing long processing times for the method
FileUpload.parseRequest.

Of course, 'long' is a relative concept, and I try to explain:

I have a web application running on tomcat 5.5, JDK 1.4; one of the
functions of the application includes uploading a file from the browser
and saving it in a database (Postgres 8) as a BLOB.

With a 700K file, I have measured:
 - 2 sec for trasferring from the browser to the server
 - 15 sec for FileUpload.parseRequest
 - 3 sec for saving to the DB (on the same machine)

The processor is a Xeon with 1 GB RAM, but anyway, the relative times
are not reasonable!  With a 1.8M file, they scale up keeping the same
distribution. I think that decoding a MIME stream cannot be _five_ times
as long as storing it to a database.

I have tried a very low disk threshold (64K) and a very high threshold
(2M), but apparently there are no differences.

I have googled a lot, but the only quantitative account reported 30 sec
for a 45MB file, which is vary far from my tests.

Anybody has pointers, ideas, rants, ... Maybe is there anything in
Tomcat, VM settings, ...

TIA
   Andrea Spinelli