commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: XMLConfiguration: Keyname list
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:15:16 GMT
Rishikesh.Mallesh@atradius.com wrote:

>Hi
>

>Question regarding XMLConfiguration. How could I get the list of keynames
>stored in an XMLConfiguration object?
>

>Say for instance my XML file looks like -
>
><database>
>  <tables>
>      <name>users</name>
>      <fields>
>        <field>
>          <name>uid</name>
>          <type>long</type>
>        </field>
>        <field>
>          <name>uid</name>
>          <type>long</type>
>        </field>
>
>.
>.
>.
>.
></database>
>

>Is there an  API which would return a Collection of containing the following
>keynames?
>

>tables.table(0).fields(0).field.name
>
>tables.table(0).fields(1).field.name
>

>If not an API is there a standard way of doing this.

This is not directly supported. The getKeys() method defined in the
Configuration interface only returns the defined keys without indices.

For which purpose do you need these keys? If it is only for a convenient
way of iterating over a hierarchical configuration, the latest code in
SVN contains the method
HierarchicalConfiguration.configurationsAt(String key), which gives you
access to sub structures of the configuration.

If you really need keys with indices, I fear you will have to traverse
the HierarchicalConfiguration.Node objects by yourself and construct the
keys.

HTH
Oliver