commons-user mailing list archives

From Nick Didkovsky <didk...@mail.rockefeller.edu>
Subject FileUpload, is upload cached before FileUpload parses it?
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:37:45 GMT
Hello

I am using Commons FileUpload 1.1 to manage HTTP POST uploads with
Tomcat running as a JkMount'ed service of Apache

I am trying to analyze the strain on memory when many large files are
being uploaded from different clients simultaneously

I have two questions:
1) Before a POST'ed file upload reaches FileUpload, is all or part of
it already cached somewhere on the server's drive space or memory, or
does it arrive from the network directly to FileUpload for parsing?
The latter would be desirable, as each uploaded file would get
written directly to the temp directory as it arrives over the
network, with no additional overhead.  Can someone verify/amend/
provide more details?

2) I tried uploading a file whose size exceeds the max file size I
set in my test JSP page. The JSP handles the upload with FileUpload,
and writes a log file of activity wth time-stamps. Checking the log,
I see that my page throws the SizeLimitExceededException almost
immediately after the client's POST reaches the server.  Yet the
client browser sits there and waits for roughly the amount of time a
full upload would take, and only then does the browser display the
SizeLimitExceededException. The wait is longer for larger files.  Can
someone explain exactly what is happening during this time interval
between the exception being thrown on the server and the exception
appearing on the client?  Is the file actually being uploaded
somewhere to the server after the SizeLimitExceededException is
thrown? If not what then is going on during this minute or two? And
if so, where is the upload going and whose memory or disk resources
are being utilized? Note that FileUpload's temp directory does not
show any temp file growing when this exception is thrown.  Yet there
does seem to be some network activity between the client and the
server, but I am baffled as to what it could be and what its
implications might be.

Thank-you,
Nick Didkovsky