commons-user mailing list archives

From "Dave Hoffer" <DHof...@xrite.com>
Subject [logging] How to get log4j to work with commons-logging in web service app?
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 02:05:51 GMT
I'm not sure if this is a commons-logging or log4j issue but my problem
is that...

I have an application (local web service) that uses Jetty and AXIS.  We
just started using commons-logging and we want to configure it to use
log4j.

Form the online docs I gathered that to configure commons-logging I
really just had to make sure that log4j was in my classpath; which I did
and through our IDE debugger and I see the following message which, I
think, means that commons-logging found log4j.  (Since this is through
the IDE it is the simple case, i.e. no Jetty and AXIS yet.

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (Logger_Name).

However, when I run the application (fire up Jetty/AXIS/App) I get NO
logging.  I don't know if this is a commons-logging or log4j issue at
runtime as I see nothing.

Do I need any commons-logging property/config file?  If so, where does
it go?

I know I will need a log4j.properties file, where should this be
located?  I haven't used log4j much, but I think it has been found in
the current directory before; now this is not working.  I have also put
it in the classpath with no success.

Any ideas?  How can I debug to see where the failure is?

Thanks.

-Dave