commons-user mailing list archives

From "Tahir Akhtar" <ta...@spectrum-tech.com>
Subject RE: common-httpclient socket timeout
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:48:52 GMT
As far as I know connection timeout property means this:

Abort the connection attempt if connection is not successfully *made* within
specified time limit.

This property is provided so that you can tell the API that I don’t want my
call to connect block for more than specified time. If you don't provide
this parameter than default TCP time-out of underlying implementation will
come into play.

This property has no effect once the connection is successfully made. It
does not dictate how much time connection can remain open.

You will have take a different approach if you want to check how much time
the site took to load, perhaps by taking system time before and after the
operation and subtracting them to find the duration.

Regards,
Tahir Akhtar
-----Original Message-----
From: Alex [mailto:alexny20@optonline.net]
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 5:19 AM
To: 'Jakarta Commons Users List'
Subject: common-httpclient socket timeout

I need to set a timeout parameter for a URL. To see if the site is timing
out, (if possible how long it takes to load the site), or just throw an
exception if website is not loaded within given time.

I know I am doing something wrong in the code below, does someone know

HttpClient client = new HttpClient();

HttpClientParams clientParams = new HttpClientParams();
clientParams.setConnectionManagerTimeout(10000);

client.setParams(clientParams);

Thanks
Alex