commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <>
Subject RE: Log4JLogger does not implement Log
Date Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:22:16 GMT
On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 09:17 -0800, Rick Herrick wrote:
> Is your classpath in your ant script (just ant, I think, on *nix, ant.bat on
> Windows) getting screwed up?  And/or do you have your classpath configured
> correctly?  Basically, you should check what classpath is getting passed
> into the JVM that's starting up ant.  Depending on what platform you're on,
> there are different ways to do this.  On Windows, just comment out all of
> the "@echo off" statements in the scripts.  On *nix, just change the line
> ant_exec_debug=false to ant_exec_debug=true and it'll echo out the command
> before it runs it.  You can then look at the jars on the classpath and see
> what you're getting for the Log class.
> My guess is that the Jakarta Commons Logging library, Log4J, and Java
> Logging libraries are getting mixed up somehow.  All of these have various
> Log and Logger classes in different packages and I have had different
> versions walk on each other and cause havoc.  The first thing to try is to
> check that your classpath is clean and has only a single version of whatever
> libs you need.
> If the problem is actually occurring IN THE BUILD as opposed to just in the
> ant run, then you need to check the classpath that's set up within the build
> script itself.  That's totally dependent on the contents of the script.

there have been some unconfirmed reports of some form of subtle
incompatibility between later log4j builds and commons-logging-1.0.4.

if you still have problems after rick's advice then please try to latest
1.1 release candidate
( if this still fails
then please switch on the diagnostic logging and open a JCL bug report
( containing the output.

- robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: