commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: using multiple log4j.properties files
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 20:03:21 GMT
On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 16:41 +0200, Asaf Lahav wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> We are using common-logging and log4j in our product, and I was
> wondering whether it's possible to use log4j when using multiple
> log4j.properties files?
>
> What I would like to achieve is the possibility to create several
> configuration (log4j.properties) files and that each log4j 'log'
> instance will be able to use the log4j.properties configuration file
> of its choice (according to application logic of course).
>
> How can I achieve that? Is it possible to do that with log4j?

Commons-logging doesn't have any control over what configuration files
log4j uses. Commons-logging binds to just *one* log4j installation, and
lets that log4j installation configure itself.

Commons-logging therefore cannot help you. You might want to follow up
on the log4j list to see if there's anything in log4j that could help
you.

I have to say I don't understand what it is you are trying to do; sounds
very odd to me. Normally the fact that a Log object can be created with
any arbitrary category name, and the (single) configuration file allows
different categories to be handled independently is enough. When you
post to the log4j list I suggest you try and describe your requirements
in more detail.

Regards,

Simon