commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RSSDigester help
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:52:55 GMT
On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 21:14 +1000, Torgeir Veimo wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 12:05 +0100, Alberto Marquÿffffe9s wrote:
> > need q help with RSSDigester, I want me to make a
> > channel of the news and need an example.
>
> Why don't you just use Rome and save the trouble of parsing the myriads
> of semi-incompatible feed formats? See
>
> http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2006/02/22/rome-parse-publish-rss-atom-feeds-java.html
>
> or
>
> http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Javawsxml/Rome05TutorialFeedReader
>
> for a feed reader example.

ALberto, I presume you are talking about the RSS example from the
commons-digester project. That was only ever an *example*, and has been
removed from later releases anyway.

I would definitely recommend using a real RSS parsing library, such as
the one that Torgeir pointed out. Digester is good at parsing xml, but
handling RSS is a whole lot more complicated than that!

Cheers,

Simon