commons-user mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [digester] using xpath to select nodes
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 05:52:56 GMT
On 2/9/06, Simon Kitching <skitching@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 16:46 +0100, Valerio Schiavoni wrote:
> > Hello,
> > i have this kind of xml i want to parse:
> > <pageclass name='news'>
> > <page pageid="33">
> >             <metadata name="title>
> >              a title
> >             </metadata>
> >             <metadata name="remoteURL">
> >             a url
> >            </metadata>
> > </page>
> > </pageclass>
> > <pageclass name='other'>
> > <page pageid="xx">
> > </page>
> > </pageclass>
> >
> > So in the digester i have this code (only relevant part ):
> >
> > digester.setRules(new ExtendedBaseRules());
> > digester.addObjectCreate("website/pageclass[@name='news']/page",
> >                 Notizia.class.getName());
> >
> > which doesn't work as I was supposing:  when I try to peek the object on
> the
> > stack, i get a NPE.
> > So the question is: does digester support that kind of xpath expressions
> > select nodes?
>
> No. None of the rule-matching implementations support XPath expressions.

It would also likely require some pretty fundamental architectural changes,
since Digester uses a SAX parser underneath the covers (and never has access
to a data structure representing the entire document).  XPath queries seem
much more appropriate when you've got the whole DOM of the document to
examine.

Craig