commons-user mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SCXML] Help with Executable Content
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:34:52 GMT
On 2/14/06, Marc Robitaille <Marc.Robitaille@nuance.com> wrote:
> We are trying to use ccxml executable content inside scxml documents
> (this is defined here: "http://www.w3.org/TR/scxml/#executable").
>
> Does the commons-scxml project have hooks to define and parse arbitrary
> executable content included in a namespace (i.e. <ccxml:>) ?
<snip/>

Hi Marc,

Back in December, the thinking was:

<paste>
(Commons SCXML) 1.0.0 will not implement any functionality dealing
with external namespaces. For example, CCXML constructs as shown in
some of the examples in the specification will have to be made by
suitable EventDispatcher implementations (EventDispatcher is a Commons
SCXML interface), these will not be provided out of the box.
</paste>

That full post is archived here [1], amongst other places. The
thinking still holds, so if you try the document that you've posted
below (seems you already have) with the Commons SCXML nightlies, the
CCXML namespace element(s) will simply be ignored.

More importantly, given that you want to use CCXML elements as custom
actions in the executable content in SCXML documents, atleast a couple
of options come to mind:

1) As mentioned in the section of the specification WD you refer to
above, you can alternatively use the SCXML <send> element to achieve
similar results. The callback will be received on the EventDispatcher
that you supply to the SCXMLExecutor -- see this API note [2] -- and
therefore, you will need to provide an EventDispatcher implementation
that proxies the <ccxml:createcall ... /> element (and for all the
other targettype and event attributes that interest you).

2) If using the SCXML <send> element is not an acceptable solution,
then I'll get back to the actual question you asked ;-) The "hooks"
are already in place, but do bear in mind that using those hooks
requires additional development. Two things will need to be done:

  (a) Customize the digester rules -- obtain a configured Digester
using the newInstance() method [3] -- and configure it to parse any
additional elements. You will need to know Commons Digester [4] a bit
to do that.

  (b) Supply your own SCXMLSemantics -- see the four argument
constructor for the SCXMLExecutor [5] -- your SCXMLSemantics
implementation only needs to provide its own implementation of the
executeActionList() method in the default implementation in order to
augment it to support any "custom actions" that you need (you can just
subclass the default impl and override that bit).

Please send an update if you make progress on this or have any further
comments. I expect this to become a popular question :-)

-Rahul

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=113511763426847&w=2
[2] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/scxml/api-notes/core-engine.html
[3] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/scxml/apidocs/org/apache/commons/scxml/io/SCXMLDigester.html