commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: [Configuration] Wish list
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:06:25 GMT
Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> For this we might provide a simple way of configuring a
> DatabaseConfiguration by fetching a DataSource through JNDI. The
> configuration descriptor would look like this :
>
> <configuration>
>   <database jndi="jdbc/MyDB" table="conf" keyColumn="key"
> valueColumn="value"/>
> </configuration>
>
> We may also propose to configure a DataSource using DBCP with
> attributes specifying a driver name, URL, user and password. But I'm
> not sure I want to enter this territory, sooner or later we'll be
> asked to provide a way of configuring the connection pool, changing
> the implementation, tunning the parameters, etc.. and that's not
> really the responsibility of [configuration]. ConfigurationFactory
> should remain a simple way or building a configuration declaratively,
> it should not turn into a complex configuration framework.
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

I agree, but we should allow some mechanism to plug in custom
initialization code. So if somebody needs complex configuration, it can
be implemented on top of the existing features.

ATM I am working on a way of declaring objects in configuration files,
which can be used for simple initialization of configuration sources in
a definition file for ConfigurationFactory. I hope I can commit some
results soon.

Oliver