commons-user mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [All] Newbies and questioners: Please respect the policy of this list
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:07:01 GMT
There's a welcome mail? ;)

Email overload is a general problem; the [foo] helps a bit but there
has to be a time at which all being on the same list doesn't scale.
Are commons-dev and commons-user fine currently? What if we fold all
of the other Jakarta projects into them. Still fine?

And yet there are huge benefits to sharing a list. Commons is all
about huge crossover between tiny communities - but when does it go
from being a constructive town meeting to becoming a bedlam of noise.
Putting each component on its own -dev list would be death - so we
obviously need a different solution there.

However, it'd be interesting to hear what people think about the
benefits of the -user list being shared. I see a few possibles:

* Easy for users. They're not having to hunt down which mailing list a
component is on - which will cause the kind of "sorry, please goto
list such and such" redirects we often have to do on general@jakarta.

* Not having a constant stream of mail list requests (and mail list
removal requests).

* Easier place to search (not that we make it that easy to search the lists).

I'm not sure I'm convinced by any of them :) I'm also interested in
whether a forum interface (working as a facade for the mailing list)
would help. How are people finding nabble and gmane?

Hopefully no one minds this navel-gazing; I'm always happy to reopen
old discussions to see if the consensus has changed.

Hen