commons-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: [Help] FTP of files with non english file names
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2006 05:51:34 GMT

I wrote:
>that specifies the file name will use the encoding you specify.  However,
>if you don't call it, it will use the system default.  Therefore, I'm not

Correction; it appears the default control encoding
(FTP.DEFAULT_CONTROL_ENCODING) is ISO-8859-1, so yes, this is
most definitely the problem.  Change the encoding to the one
you need.  svn blame cross-referenced with the log message for
r139522 says I made ISO-8859-1 the default.  And the docs say
the following:

    // We have to ensure that the protocol communication is in ASCII
    // but we use ISO-8859-1 just in case 8-bit characters cross
    // the wire.
    /**
     * The default character encoding used for communicating over an
     * FTP control connection.  The default encoding is an
     * ASCII-compatible encoding.  Some FTP servers expect other
     * encodings.  You can change the encoding used by an FTP instance
     * with {@link #setControlEncoding setControlEncoding}.
     */

So the answer was in the javadocs all along.  I keep telling myself not
to respond off the cuff when I'm pressed for time because in the end you
wind up wasting more time.  One day I'll learn.

daniel

    s a v a r e s e      # In distant lands, I hear the call of my home.
   software research     # Yet my work is not done.  My journey's just begun.
http://www.savarese.com/ #  -- http://www.sleepandthetraveller.com/