commons-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Marendo <jmare...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Betwixt Tutorial Problem
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:48:09 GMT
Thanks for the suggestions, but things are still not working.  The  .betwixt files are found
at runtime so I don't think there is a problem  in that area.  For whatever reason, the program
is coming up with  a null value for the Channel instance after it tries to parse the  contents
of the file.

  I'm hoping one of the Betwixt developers will see this thread and be able to provide more
insight as to what might be wrong.

  Jeff

Igor Marakov <igor__m@ivmsystems.com> wrote:  Make sure your .betwixt files are :
In the same directory as their java source
Have same name as their java source
End up in same directory as their java .class after compilation

These are the simplest things I ran into :)

Also I never looked at the example but kinda doubt Channel should be
registered to "info" tag.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Marendo [mailto:jmarendo@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 1:33 PM
To: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Betwixt Tutorial Problem

I've downloaded Betwixt 0.7 and cannot seem to get the RSSApplication  to
run correctly.  I created two files (channel.betwixt and  image.betwixt)
that contains the respective content from the tutorial,  and I supply the
channel.betwixt file as input when running the  application.  Perhaps this
is where I'm going wrong.

  In any case, what happens is that I get a NullPointerException when the
channel.getTitle() piece is executed in the plainTextSummary(Channel
channel) method.  This happens b/c the statement:

  Channel channel = (Channel) reader.parse(file);

  results in a null value being returned.

  I modified the code so that the Channel class is registered like so:

  reader.registerBeanClass("info", Channel.class);

  After I did that, I no longer get a NPE.  Instead I get a Channel
instance that appears to have nothing but default values.  That  is, the
contents from the XML file (channel.betwixt) are not used to  initialize the
instance as I would expect.  Here is the output for  that scenario:

  Feb 15, 2006 11:53:51 AM org.apache.commons.betwixt.expression.Context
popOptions
  INFO: Cannot pop options off empty stack
  Feb 15, 2006 11:53:51 AM org.apache.commons.betwixt.expression.Context
popOptions
  INFO: Cannot pop options off empty stack
  channel: null
  url: null
  copyright: Public Domain

  I'm probably missing something simple.  Please reply and help me get on
the right track!  Thanks.

  Jeff

  p.s. It's worth noting that I ran the WriteExampleApp and  ReadExampleApp
(both using the PersonBean class that is provided in the  Examples section)
without a problem (except for the INFO messages,  which still appear).
However, the XML used for that example seems  simpler than that used in the
tutorial.